Ag & Natural Resources
IPM Training IN PRINCETON FULL DETIALS - click HERE
The 2014 IPM Training will be on March 5, 2014 at the UKREC in Princeton. Start time is 9 a.m. and should be concluded by 3 p.m. Lunch provided. Topics will include updates on resistant weeds, Bt corn varieties and invasive insects. Application has been made for 5.0 CEUs for CCA and pesticide education hours in categories 1A Ag Plant Pest, 4 Seed Treatment, 10 Demonstration and Research, 12 Pesticde Sales Agent and 14 Pest Control consultant.
Ag Appreciation Breakfast is March 6 at the Fine Arts Center in Henderson. Program begins at 7:15 a.m. Call the Extension Office or Kyndle offices to register.
Ag News -
Corn High Yield Checklist - by Chad Lee, Extension Agronomist, University of Kentucky on the Grain Crops Update, Tuesday, February 18, 2014
Checking for Soil Compaction by Edwin Ritchey,Extension Soils Specialist, University of Kentucky and Lloyd Murdock, emeritus, University of Kentucky on the Grain Crops Update, Thursday, February 20, 2014
Current edition of Economic & Policy Update - click HERE - articles include:
Farm Bill Update – Will Snell
The Importance of Risk Management for Grain Farms in 2014 – Greg Halich
The Effect of Crop Insurance on Farm Profitability - Jerry Pierce
Farm to School in Kentucky: The USDA Farm to School Census – Kevin Heidemann
Data You Can Use: Kentucky County Profiles Available Online – Sarah Bowker
UK’s Beginning Farmer Program “KyFarmStart” – Lee Meyer & Jennifer Hunter
- UPDATED Tobacco Fungicide Guide now available - click HERE
- Can Cows Eat Enough Snow to Meet Their Daily Water Requirements From Dr. Michelle Arnold, UK Ruminant Extension Veterinarian - click HERE
- Cold Stress and Newborn Calves - From Dr. Michelle Arnold, UK Ruminant Extension Veterinarian - click HERE
- 2013 University of Kentucky Variety Trials are now available (Soybeans, Corn, Wheat) - click HERE
Ag Links -
- Current edition "Economic & Policy Update" - Click HERE
- Current edition "Off the Hoof" newsletter for beef producers - click HERE!
- Current edition "Forage News" - Click HERE
- KENTUCKY PEST NEWS - Click HERE
- UK Grain Crops Blog
- University of Kentucky Variety Trials - Click HERE
- Soybean Rust Prediction Center - Click HERE
- The Chat 'n Chew (Purdue University)
From University of Kentucky College of Agriculture "Economic and Policy Update", September 27, 2013:Vol 13 No. 9 September 2013 Economic & Policy Update - HEALTHCARE UPDATE by Lauren Omer, KFM Henderson County - Click HERE
Beef Information Resources Links including 2013 Sire EPD requirements for CAIP Beef Genetic Improvement Program
Ag Econ Links -
Many farmers have purchased or are considering automatic section control units for their planters. I recently participated in an in-service where agents had input in helping develop a tool used to determine cost effectiveness of adding these to your opporation. Below, you will find the Univeristy link where you can download this tool if you desire.
The Automatic Section Control for Planters Cost Calculator (ASCCC) is now available. This tool is the result of joint collaboration between UT Specialists: Dr, Margarita Velandia, Dr. Mike Buschermohle, Tammy McKinley and Michele Wilson.
ASCCC is simply an interactive computerized decision aid tool designed to help you evaluate potential benefits of Automatic Section Control (ASC) Technology for planters (i.e., lower seed, and improved yield potential) and estimate the number of years it would take an investment in ASC for planters to return its original cost through the annual net cash revenue it generates (i.e. savings).
Powerpoints from January 2012 -
RISK MANAGEMENT FROM A LAND LEASE PERSPECTIVE
- Managing Risk Through Communication by Michael C. Smith, Extension Agent
- Flex-Lease Land Bubble by Greg Halich, UK Extension Farm Management Economics
- Flex-Lease Game by Greg Halich, UK Extension Farm Management Economics
Remember the Henderson County Conservation District has a ditcher and drill for use by Henderson County farmers. Contact the Conservation District at 270-869-9193 OR Parrish Shop & Sales at 270-827-9937
- Planting Corn into Sod by Dr. Chad Lee, UK Extension Grain Crops specialist
- Corn Growth & Development by Dr. Chad Lee, UK Extension Grain Crops specialist
TOBACCO LINKS you may find useful -
LIVESTOCK LINKS you may find useful -