Welcome to the Henderson County Horticulture Page -
Small Farm & Garden Conference - March 11, 2017
Deadline is March 7 to submit your registration and fee
Registration from 8:30 a.m. to 9 a.m. at the Henderson County Extension Education & Expo Center (3099 Zion Road - Henderson KY). Click HERE to download the registration form and full information.
Sessions will include -
- Market Farming
- Pond Weed Management
- Bee Keeping
- Beef Cuts for Profit
- Off-Season Production
- Disease Management in Apple/Peach Orchards
- Monarch and Pollinator Establishment
- Producer Panel featuring Do's and Don'ts
- USDA Rural Development
- Food Safety - Why should I care?
- Vegetable Pest Control
- Backyard Poultry Q & A
- Soil Tests - Analyzing the Results
- High Tunnel Tomato Grafting
- Fencing Options
- Backyard Poultry Processing Demo
Throughout the day visit with outdoor vendors including fencing demos, body condition scoring & small ruminant demo, Natural Resource Conservation Service, Waters Agricultural Lab, and KSU's mobile processing unit
LINKS OF INTEREST -
- Kentucky Pest News Weekly update on current diseases and insects being seen in our field crops, vegetable gardens (home owner as well as commercial producers), fruits, and other pest problems. The site is updated each Tuesday evening. Current edition as well as links to past publications can be found HERE.
- Home horticulture publications from the University of Kentucky - This section contains links to thousands of pages of information about plants. The best way to view this site is to search for a plant or a keyword. Information is organized as follows: Flowers, Fruits, Houseplants, Landscapes, Vegetables, Woody Plants. Click HERE for this page.
- Commercial horticulture publications from the University of Kentucky - This section contains links to thousands of pages of information about plants. The best way to view this site is to search for a plant or a keyword. Information is organized as follows: Flowers, Fruit and Nuts, Nursery and Landscape, Vegetables. The page also includes links to Fruit Alerts, Turfgrass, Horticulture Newsletters and other resources. Click HERE for this page.
- The Gardening Calendar was originally published in 2008, however it still contains valuable information. Download HERE.
- Farmers Market Weekly Price Info, collected by the Center for Crop Diversification (compiled from markets in Kentucky, Illinois and Tennessee). Click HERE.
Henderson County Master Gardener Association meets monthly on the 3rd Thursday at 6:30 p.m. in the Extension Education & Expo Center Rooms 1 & 2.
Master Gardener Volunteer Service Report - Click HERE to download to your computer
HENDERSON COUNTY FARMERS MARKET - Visit them HERE on FaceBook - they post updates as to what is available! Market hours are 10 a.m. until sold out on Tuesday, Friday and Saturday. Some vendors are also setup in downtown Henderson on Wednesday evenings from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Downtown Henderson Farm & Art Market.
Interested in learning more about honey bees and the Audubon Beekeepers Association? Click HERE
Please take time to brush up on how to collect plant samples for diagnostic testing. Full information can be found HERE - "Submitting Plant Specimens for Disease Diagnosis" (PPFS-GEN-09).
Henderson County Emergency Management has their CodeRed system in place and you may signup to be notified by your local emergency response team in the event of emergency situations or critical community alerts. Click HERE to go to the CodeRed signup page.